1. Respect the Kayin People and their unique traditions.
Visitors are not asked to abandon their ways, they are asked to adapt to their environment.
2. Don’t take any photos that may make people feel embarrassed.
For example, it is considered disrespectful when tourists take photos of women taking a shower.
3. Do smile.
Kayin People are not very friendly type but they are honest and eager to help visitors. Anyhow A smile will lighten up everyone’s day.
4. Don’t point with your foot.
In Myanmar the feel conveys messages. Pointing with your feet mean disrespect.
5. Wear decent clothes to when vising religious sites.
Please cover your shoulders, knees, take off your shoes and socks when entering pagodas areas.
6. Do not tuck away your feet.
When you visit to religious sites, your legs should not be stretched out and your feet should never face to the Buddha.
7. Women solo travelers are safe in Myanmar.
Hpa An is a very safe place for tourists, but it is recommend to wear decently.
8. Don’t kiss in public.
Displaying physical closeness in public places is frowned upon in Hpa An.
9. Please learn the local customs before visiting ethnic minority villages.
People in remote areas are very diverse; each ethnic minority has their own local customs in Hpa An.
10. Do try Myanmar traditional transport facilities, it is sustainable and benefits the locals.
If they wish visitors are encouraged to be a bit adventurous and to support local transport facilities.
11 . Hpa An is a remote cultural destination.
Visitors are encouraged to learn about Kayin’s traditional festivals and ceremonies.
12. Myanmar currency should be exchanged at the official exchange counters and banks.
Visitors should exchange their money at the reliable exchange counters, not on the black market.
13. Help protect Kayin state wildlife by refusing to purchase wildlife products.
Tourists should not buy this illegal selling of wildlife endangers species from hunters and street vendors.
14. Help us keep Hpa An clean.
Visitors could set a good example by collecting their rubbish and educating Kayin people about environmental responsibility.
15.Practice safe sex.
Prostitution is illegal in our country.
16. Do not go where you advised not to go.
Hpa An is slowly opening up and more destinations will be accessible to foreigners in the near future.
Relax and Enjoy your holiday.
The present of Dos and Don’ts merely offer some useful hints for tourists who wish to visit Hpa An responsibly.